Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Oscillating Mascaras

Last night, I curled up with the August InStyle magazine and read their Beauty Buzz road test of "vibrating mascaras" - one trend this obsessive compulsive beauty addict will miss. I can poke myself in the eye with a wand powered only by my arm. Why would I want help?

According to InStyle, the Lancome Oscillation ($34 at Sephora) mascara is the best for lengthening and freedom from clumps. So, if you are brave, this sounds like the best of the three they reviewed. It's also the first one that was released. Lancome is known for having great mascaras, so waiting lists formed for this one.

The other two? They say that the Estee Lauder Turbolash All Effects Motion ($32) one is best for thickening, and the new Maybelline New York Pulse Perfection one is best for your pocketbook ($15). However, it sounded like both clump. Why would you want to have to add an eyelash comb to the morning routine to "fix" your mascara?

I may sound like a curmudgeon, but I just don't get it. We all know how to apply mascara, right? We have read all the tips about moving the wand back and forth as we apply the product from the base of our lashes to the tips, but I don't even do that. I simply use a superb mascara, Maybelline Define-a-Lash Volume Washable Mascara (currently), and it gives me great darkening, length, and clump-free "thickness." I have used others I recommend to those who want their lashes clump-free (in other words, to avoid the Tammy Faye look) and enhanced. These include Clinique's Naturally Glossy Mascara and their newer High Impact Mascara.

So, I guess I'm old fashioned, but I don't think I'm missing anything. What do you think?

Photo courtesy of Sephora. Thanks to InStyle for the review!

No comments: