Friday, June 11, 2010

The Friday Forum - June 11

Have you noticed the Stella D'Oro daylilies blooming around town? Stella is widely used by landscapers because it's an early bloomer, reblooms during the summer, and provides a great accent in the garden - whether massed or planted as a single plant. Daylily season is underway, and daylilies are among my favorite perennials. Each flower on a scape lasts for only a day, but the scape can bloom for many weeks. Daylily "snobs" like me consider Stella rather common, but you have to hand it to her - she performs reliably every year, somewhat like our favorite beauty products.

It's time for The Friday Forum! Most of you know, we share information in The Friday Forum. Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Tell us about it! Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Tell us why! Do you have questions others might be able to answer? We can help! Want to talk about skin care? I'm game! Just use the comments. We have busy weekends and slow ones on the forum. Either way, I always enjoy hearing from you.

As usual, I will share the best beauty bits with you over the weekend. I'll put them in the comments.

Don't forget to enter the giveaway contest for one of the most charming beauty books I have read in a long time: Babushka's Beauty Secrets, Old World Tips for a Glamorous New You! The deadline is tomorrow night (Saturday, June 12).

The microphone is yours!

Photo courtesy of Sooner Plant Farm

11 comments:

Charlestongirl said...

From Smashbox...

Hurry – it's the final 48 hours to get your FREE 4-piece Travel Gift Set packed with 4 of our best-selling products! This summer must-have is yours with any $65 purchase.

Enter code GLAMGO at checkout.

Includes: Reflection High Shine Gloss, Artificial Light Luminizing Lotion in Flash, Photo Finish Foundation Primer SPF 15 & Dermaxyl & Zip Up Compact. (*Bag subject to change)

Expires Sunday, June 13th.

Charlestongirl said...

Beautorium has new John Masters Organics products! Plus, get free shipping on all US orders through June 15 with code BEARBERRY!

Unknown said...

Hi Charlestongirl--I am a new reader and am so glad to have found you! I have sensitive rash-prone skin and my current sunscreen is just not working out. Between the Kiehl's sunscreen you reviewed a couple of weeks ago and the Josie Maran argan oil based sunscreen, which would you suggest for my problem-prone neck and décolleté?

Thanks! Erin

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Erin,

Welcome!

For under makeup, I would recommend those or one of two others I wrote about at: http://bestthingsinbeauty.blogspot.com/2009/07/sunblocks-for-use-under-makeup.html

You can use a heavier sun block on your neck or décolleté than you use on your face under makeup. The La Roche-Posay family of sunscreens and blocks should have something you like, and you can buy them at "high-end" drugstores. I have extremely sensitive skin, and my skin likes them.

As long as your skin isn't very dark, you should find that physical sun blocks (like those in the Josie Maran product) are better for you than chemical ones.

Let me know how you fare.

Unknown said...

Erin, you can also check Avene Day Cream with Spf protection. I am also very sensitive to products with spf in them and this one does not break me out. Avene line is usually available in drugstores and it is not too expensive either. Good luck!

Charlestongirl said...

That's a great idea, Anna! I love Avene products.

Clarisse said...

Hi!
Daseined, I confirm that La Roche Posay and Avene make very good products for sensitive and allergic skins and their sunscreen are just great (in France, their water is reputed to cure problems such as eczema and psoriasis and people go and spend 3 weeks there and feel much better after that).

Clarisse said...

I thought I would take the opportunity to thank again Charleston girl for the Armani blush I won in the Armani giveaway contest on June 1. It sat waiting for me in my letter box last Wednesday and I have used it since!!!! I love it, it feels just weightless on the skin and has a gorgeous texture.The shade looks very bright when applied out of the tube on my finger but I need just a tiny bit to work on and achieve the color I want. I am sold, just like with all Armani products I have fallen in love with this one! Thank you again for this lovely prize (it was the first one I ever won, so I was very proud!!!) and thank you too for allowing European readers to enter the contest, I do appreciate your kindness! Have a lovely day!

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, Clarisse! That's really sweet.

I'm glad you like the Armani Blushing Fabric! We'll have to do another Armani giveaway soon.

I hope you enjoy your day too!

Charlestongirl said...

Neiman Marcus is offering free online shipping at any price with code NMSHOP until Monday, June 14.

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone for your very helpful suggestions! I am excited to try these products and have been busy tracking them down. My skin thanks you too!