Monday, June 7, 2010

Guerlain Météorites Light-Diffusing Perfecting Primer

I've been testing primers of all types. Given my love for Guerlain makeup, I had high hopes or Météorites Light-Diffusing Perfecting Primer ($68). It's described as a smoothing liquid makeup base for an ethereal complexion. When I purchased it, with those pretty pink spheres suspended in liquid, I had visions of luminous skin.

The sales rep promised I would love it - that it would make my skin glow. What follows in italics is the marketing blurb.

For skin that seems lit from within, apply Guerlain Météorites Light-Diffusing Perfecting Primer to clean, moisturized skin as an essential first step in any makeup routine. In one step, this extraordinary primer perfects the complexion and can be used before makeup or on its own.

This gel formula is the first makeup base with pearls of light; it contains an exclusive, color-control base to camouflage blemishes and discoloration and pearlescent extracts to capture and reflect light, blurring the appearance of fine lines without adding shine.

To quote Liz Crenshaw, consumer reporter for our local NBC station, "But...does it really do that?" In my opinion, nope. I like to write about the best things in beauty. I test many products I don't tell you about - simply because there's nothing remarkable about them. Occasionally, I will write about a product that should be great, but isn't - at least on my skin. This primer falls into that category. It disappointed me.

I noticed no increase in luminosity, no improvement in my skin tone or camouflage of areas of hyperpigmentation, no blurring of fine lines, and no special makeup priming qualities. Nothing! For $68, I expected it to fulfill at least one of the promises. Maybe there's something in those little pink spheres - if I could smash them up, would the primer have some effect?

Here's my recommendation. Don't buy it unless you have sampled it and know it will have some effect on your skin. We're all different, and there must be someone who will love Météorites Light-Diffusing Perfecting Primer. I'm just not sure who that will be.

You can purchase it - or better sample it - at Sephora, Saks, Nordstrom, and Bloomingdale's.

Photo courtesy of Sephora

5 comments:

Clarisse said...

You know, I am not surprised: Guerlain keeps launching beautiful products with smart packaging, they look gorgeous in your bathroom but that's about all...(some lipsticks are good though) They are very expensive and not worth it; since its "diorisation" (it belongs to LVMH) the brand doesn't care , the purpose is to sell lots of Guerlain things so that people feel very happy and proud because they bought Guerlain...and that's all, it is both a pity and a shame. Never buy it if you want something efficient! For a great primer, By Terry has "Eclat de teint" or "Eclat de perle": you'll have to try them in NYC (expensive but worth it) Aren'there some american brands which might be good too for that?

Charlestongirl said...

There are plenty of wonderful primers - for every skin type. I'm just in testing mode, working my way through a lot of them. If anything, there are too many choices, which is why I started this series of occasional primer posts. :)

Clarisse said...

oh great then, I am looking forward to reading about your next tests:)

Unknown said...

for $68 I'd expect it to give me new skin lol

Great review. I've always wondered about Guerlain products. I just wear the perfume

http://makeupbykim-porter.com/blog (check out my blog & follow please)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Kim!

Thanks. I'm living proof that hope springs eternal! :)

Hey everyone, check out Kim's blog!