Friday, May 27, 2011

The Friday Forum - May 27

The honeysuckle is blooming, and I'm in the mood for a fragrance that carries the true scent of honeysuckle onto my body! Do you have any ideas for me?

This was a busy beauty week! Some of the stunning summer collections (the late wave) finally launched - right before the fall collections start to appear. The timing couldn't have been more welcome to an addict who loves a fresh dose of makeup. There's more to come here at Best Things in Beauty, but I'll take a break and reflect on the week.

I wasn't terribly interested in the American Idol finale, but I turned it on, thinking it would provide background music for other activities. I ended up watching most of the show! There were so many guest stars, often singing with the Final 13, it was a fun show. I got to see all my favorites, from Jacob to Haley. Isn't Paul McDonald darling? Jacob soared with Gladys Knight and Kirk Franklin. Tony Bennett and Haley? Charming! Listening made me happy. I hope all those kids see their dreams of a career in music come true.

Can you even believe it's time for The Friday Forum? We use the forum to share information and chat. Did you find any deals you couldn't resist this week? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? What's new in your life? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By Monday, most readers have moved on.

There are so many special offers for Memorial Day. This evening, I will put some of the better ones in the comments for your use - should you decide to do a little armchair shopping this weekend.

Want to blush? I have a giveaway contest for a Laura Geller Blush-n-Brighten in Tropic Hues. It's a perfect punch for summer. Make sure to enter before Saturday's midnight deadline.

I hope you have a glorious Memorial Day weekend. Please take a few minutes to reflect on those who have died in our nation's service. If you have lost a loved one to war (or the new kind of war called terrorism), please know that millions will pause this weekend to reflect on your sacrifices. We care. Thank you for giving up the most precious thing you could give - your children, fathers and mothers, grandparents, brothers and sisters, cousins, and best friends.

11 comments:

lovethescents said...

Hi Charlestongirl! Memorial Day...do you also have Rememberance Day as well?

Regarding honeysuckle fragrances, I do love Goutal's Le Chevrefeuille. Do you like that one? I also have Demeter's Honeysuckle which is nice enough for a Demeter but lasts about 4 seconds, so you do need to apply liberally and frequently.

Also, I think Summer by Kenzo is a smooth, milky honeysuckle, although I think it's supposed to be based on mimosa??

I've also heard of Honeysuckle Bird by Soivohle, but I've never tried it.

Good luck and I hope you find what you're after!

Unknown said...

I'm a total fragrance dope but I LOVE Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Floral Nymphea. It says honey though...not honeysuckle but damn it smells good...to me anywho!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents!

We do have Remembrance Day. We call it Veterans Day. Symbolized by poppies that bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders in World War I.

http://bestthingsinbeauty.blogspot.com/2010/11/happy-veterans-day.html

Thanks for the honeysuckle food for thought. I'm not a big Demeter fan, but I'll check out the Soivohle one. Sounds very interesting!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi PerilouslyPale - thanks! I'll check that out too, just because I love Aqua Allegoria. :)

lovethescents said...

Thanks for the info re: Memorial Day and Remembrance Day. How patriotic! We only have Remembrance Day and it isn't even a stat holiday...we should be ashamed of ourselves...

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents,

I have a box for you! Hope to send tomorrow.

Start a movement...remind people to remember those who died for our freedom.

Eileen said...

I let my fingers do the shopping today and visited Chantecaille's website. I ordered that beautiful Poudre de Perle in Biwa. While I was at it, I also ordered the loose powder called Protection Naturelle SPF 46. I have Chantecaille's regular loose powder, but I thought I'd give this new mineral one a go. If it's as good as the regular powder, it will be finely milled, ultra light, translucent, luminous, and skin nurturing. That's not asking for much, is it?

Your quest for a honeysuckle fragrance reminded me of when I was a very young girl and I used to suck the tiny drop of nectar off of the flowers' stamens. It was so delicate and sweet and the fragrance out there by the honeysuckle vine was divine. It was one of my favorite things in my grandmother's garden. Although my grandmother had planted it to attract hummingbirds and butterflies to her garden, it also did a pretty good job of attracting us kids :-) Anyway, if you find your dream fragrance, Charlestongirl, you'll have to write a review for us.

Although it is a US holiday, Memorial Day is a good time to honor all those men and women throughout the world who are sacrificing their lives in defence of their right to be free and self-determining. Looking at all the turmoil in the Middle East, I can only hope that other countries there will one day be able to say what we so proudly proclaim in our land: We are the home of the free because of the brave.

A happy holiday weekend to one and all!

Hopelessly Devoted To Makeup said...

Let's see...I added some real good goodies to my stash this week. I've been on an Edward Bess and brush binge so I combined the two with his luxury eye brush. I also got LMdB's concealer and eye shadow brush. I also picked up EB's lip gloss. I'm eager to try all my goodies out!

I'm so happy to see you address Memorial Day on your blog and my hope is that we all do pause and reflect on what Monday symbolizes, for us, Americans and not just as a day off!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

I should write up Protection Naturelle SPF 46. I like it. Alex Chantecaille introduced me to it last year. It's surprising that it works, given how sheer it appears on the skin.

I did that too! What draws kids to honeysuckle? That momentary sweet taste must have been a treat in those days. Now, I leave it for the hummingbirds.

Yesterday, I ordered Honeysuckle Bird by Soivohle, based on the recommendation by Lovethescents. In order to get free shipping and a 10% discount, I ordered more from Liz Zorn too. I'll have fun exploring a new-to-me fragrance line.

I agree that we should have a world-wide day to celebrate all of those who bravely gave their lives for the freedom of their country. There's an idea that should catch on - maybe even nudge the repressive regimes in this world.

Hope you enjoy the weekend! I plan to be lazy today, with some good food and drink. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Hopelessly Devoted!

It sounds like you made some excellent choices! Remember, that "stash" is a "collection." Collections are the hallmark of an eager (perhaps obsessive), elegant curiosity - like those who collect fine wines, 18th century art, or even rare plants. Put yourself in their company. :)

Charlestongirl said...

DermaShoppe.com has 20% off with code MEMORIAL20.

Bliss online offering a summer skin 911 gift with an purchase of $50 or more. Other specials too.

Save 20% at New London Pharmacy. Use code NLPMEM through June 2.

MAC has free shipping with code SURF.

Laura Geller: 20% off with code MEM20.