Friday, May 27, 2011

YSL Pure Chromatics Wet & Dry Eyeshadow for Summer 2011 - #19

Through the magic of water and a revolutionary new technology, YSL Beauté created Pure Chromatics, its latest generation of eye shadows, in March. You can create "makeup artist magic" with any of the eight harmonies for the eyes. There are two palettes (quads) featured in the Summer Look for 2011. Today, I want to show you #19.

The must-have colors for Summer 2011 embody the unexpected intensity of a summer in Paris, a time when anything is possible.

Indeed! Anything might be possible by copying the look on the model above. With flashy cat's eyes, created with many shades, including blue and yellow, and blue nails, she'll draw attention. Take heart! There are looks for summer that are just as pretty, but much more wearable. The two new Pure Chromatics Wet & Dry eye palettes are gorgeous. I showed you #20 earlier this week. Today, let's take a look at #19.

Depending on how you use Pure Chromatics 4 Wet & Dry Eyeshadow #19 ($48), you can achieve subtle or intense metallic looks. I prefer subtle and apply the eye shadows dry. I had trouble applying them wet. I learned from Gaia at The Non-Blonde, who was bolder in her experimentation, how to get the full effect of the chromatic formula and apply these YSL colors wet.

Even though I don't gravitate toward pink eye shadows, there was something about #19 I couldn't leave behind. The bright pink has an indescribable allure. What appears to be a lighter pink in the compact is actually white with a pink cast on my skin. The two browns, dark and taupe, are lust-worthy. All four shades coordinate perfectly.

When I looked at the Summer Look on YSL's Web site, I became confused about #19. Online, it appears to be an entirely different palette. It has a lavender and brown theme. There is nothing about the #19 I purchased at Neiman Marcus that transmits lavender. I sure hope YSL is not re-using numbers. I could be wrong, but this isn't the first time I've noticed a discrepancy.

I took a few swatch photos to show you these glorious shades. My photos were taken in full sun, and I applied the shadows with my own sponge-tipped applicators (not the ones supplied in the compact). I swatched clockwise, with the top shade on my arm matching the top left pink in the compact.

Is that pink gorgeous or what? I have no idea where or even if I'm going to use it - but I love the shade. It's pastel rose to my eye, gleaming and glorious. Maybe I'll try it as a blush or cheekbone highlighter. The ever-so-slightly-pink white shade is a great color. It applies evenly, which I appreciate. I have struggled with so many metallic whites; there's no struggle required with this one. The darker brown has a touch of copper in it. It's actually much prettier than my photos show. The shimmering taupe? Love!

I'm glad I purchased #19. Even if you don't like these shades, you will find that #6 and #20 are fabulous. Everyone should own at least one Pure Chromatics eye shadow palette!

Pure Chromatics Wet & Dry Eyeshadows are available at YSL's Web site and Neiman Marcus. I'm sure the other stores have received them - or will soon. I forgot to look when I was in Saks earlier this week. Keep your eyes open for them.

Photo at top courtesy of YSL Beauté; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

12 comments:

lovethescents said...

Wow these are beautiful swatches...now I have to choose what I want more: this or the Armani Mediterranean quad. Decisions, decisions....

Charlestongirl said...

Oh my...do you really have to choose? They are both gorgeous. If I could only have one, I would go with the Armani quad, but only because I adore all four shades.

lovethescents said...

Sadly, I do have to choose as I can't justify too many crazy purchases yet....am still on Mat. Leave and we have a Western Med. cruise in October :-)

Thanks for the tip re: the Armani. I'll be going to their counter tomorrow and can't wait to try it out!

lovethescents said...

Forgot to add, I think I was confused (surprise, surprise). I've also been uber craving D&G's Vulcano quad. What's a girl to do????

Anonymous said...

Oh my, this is BEAUTIFUL. Need!

Silverstargirl said...

Love these swatches

Charlestongirl said...

Lovethescents,

If anyone could make us crave D&G, it's Sabrina at The Beauty Look Book. I even wanted some, and I've never bought a piece before.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Tracy and Silverstargirl!

That's what #19 did to me. I had to have it, even if there appeared to be a shade or two I might not wear. Turns out I'll wear all of them - one way or another.

Style de Nude said...

I've been debating on whether or not to purchase one of these, but I think this has done it. You have convinced me! Can't wait to try them out wet as well!

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, ProductDoctor!

Let us know how you fare with using them wet. I still haven't made a paste like Gaia advised. Sounds messy, and I'm a conservative type anyhow. Dry is fine.

Style de Nude said...

I did it! I picked up number 6, playing with them wet as we speak...

Charlestongirl said...

Yea! Number 6 has so many fans. I need to bring mine out of "the YSL box" and wear it more.