Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Tarnish

When I was shopping Sephora's last Friends & Family sale, Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Tarnish ($18) caught my eye. Described as a plumping and moisturizing lip stain, Lip Tarnish is available in seven pretty colors. I had never tried it, so I decided to purchase one: Blackmail (blackberry truffle).

Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Tarnish takes color to a new level. It tints exactly like a stain, shines like a gloss, moisturizes like a balm, and plumps like nobody's business. Your full color and shine isn't going anywhere. Lips remain soft and supple thanks to an infusion of emollients and vitamin E for lasting moisture. The cooling and tingling sensation reminds you that your pout looks plumped to mega-proportions. A built-in sharpener keeps your creamy pencil perfectly prepped for whatever shenanigans arise.

How has it fared with me? I really like it, but not for all the reasons promoted in the marketing blurb on Sephora (above). It does behave like a stain, making the color extremely long-lasting - and oh, what a gorgeous color Blackmail is! The grape-toned shade is like my lip color, but significantly darker, making my lips look naturally pretty and more prominent than they are without help. Blackmail reminds me, just a little, of my beloved Black Honey, although it's darker than Black Honey.

I see little to no shine from Blackmail indoors, although it does shine when light is directed at my face. That's why you can see shine in my full-sun swatch photos. Trust me, there's very little shine on my lips, just a slight gleam. I normally wear lip gloss over it (either clear or the shade of my choice). However, its finish is perfect for gals who like a matte look or want to balance a shimmering eye.

It is slightly hydrating, but I wouldn't call it creamy. It's like a comfortable stain - not drying, but not notably moisturizing either. I can wear it without feeling dry, so that's a plus. There is a slight cooling sensation when I apply it and, fortunately, no tingling sensation that plumps my lips with pain. I dislike tinglers, so I'm happy with that minimal effect. Although the ingredients list fragrance, I do not detect an overt smell or taste.

I really like using my Lip Tarnish as a lip pencil. Because of its generous, chubby size, it makes quick work of lining my lips with color. Then I fill in with two more strokes of Blackmail before applying lipstick or lip gloss (or both).

While this may read like a "mixed review," I'm actually quite pleased with Big & Healthy Lip Tarnish. I will definitely purchase another one: Scandal (mauve), for sure. What's with these names? Mug Shot (nude pink) looks pretty too. All of them remind me of LiLo's run-ins with the law.

Buxom's Big & Healthy Lip Tarnish is sold exclusively at Sephora. I'll be tacking Scandal onto my next order. I need one of these for my handbag, and Blackmail has earned a place in my bathroom.

Photo at top courtesy of Sephora; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

3 comments:

Dovey said...

I've actually never tested or swatched the lip tarnishes in store --- I'll have to look into them next time I'm there! Blackmail looks like a very wearable browny-mauve color.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Maybe B.E. Buxoms are going to start using celebs to sell the product!! lol...

Anonymous said...

Sold out! I have been trying to purchase but never available